St. Gabriel Safety & Abuse Prevention Program
VIRTUS "Protecting God's Children"™
Information For All Employees and Volunteers
VIRTUS "Protecting God's Children"™ remains the primary child abuse training and education prevention program required by the Diocese of Cleveland for all employees and volunteers. A volunteer requiring VIRTUS training is defined as anyone who works with children without any express or implied promise of remuneration, more than 4 hours a month, or who works with children more frequently than once a month. Examples include, but are not limited to, a catechist, coach, choir director, altar server, coordinator, youth leader, intern, student teacher and others in similar capacities. The training consists of a three-hour training and the completion of 24 online VIRTUS education bulletins over a two-year period.
How To Register:
Visit www.virtus.org or contact Anna Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following paperwork needs to be completed by an Employee/Volunteer:
1. Volunteer Application Form (complete both sides including references).
2. Read The Policy for the Safety of Children In Matters of Sexual Abuse and sign Page 7-65.
3. Read Standards of Conduct for Ministry and sign page 17.
4. Read the Safety First Handbook and sign back page.
5. Provide a copy of your driver license.
All above paperwork should be returned to Anna Lee in a sealed envelope to the parish office.
1. All employees/volunteers are required to be fingerprinted through BCII. If employee/volunteer has not lived in the state of Ohio for the previous five years, they are required to have a FBI check.
2. There will be a cost associated with this - BCII $22.00. The cost for an FBI Check is $24.00. These feee are due at the time of fingerprinting. (Drivers license will be needed at this time) Cash or checks made out to St. Gabriel Church.
3. Volunteers 14-17 years of age are required to be fingerprinted; the parish will cover this cost. (Minors will need their social security number) Finger Printing Permission Slip (Web Check Waiver) needs to be signed by a parent for all minors.
4. If you are from another parish, or have been employed through the Diocese of Cleveland, and have been fingerprinted in the last twelve months, we will accept a copy of the BCII report or FBI report.
Fingerprinting will take place in the St. Gabriel Parish Life Centre, across from the chapel.
Fingerprinting will take place at St. Gabriel Parish on the following dates: All fingerprinting will take place between 9:00am—12:00 Noon
July 23, 2017,
August 27, 2017,
September 24, 2017,
October 29, 2017,
November 12, 2017,
January 21, 2018,
You may call to schedule an appointment for fingerprinting at 440-477-1875.
VIRTUS Training will take place at St. Gabriel Parish on the following dates:
*July 26,2017– 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
* August 26,2017– 9:00am-12:pm
* September 30 ,2017– 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
* October 28 ,2017- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
*May 9, 2018 – 6:00pm-9:00pm